I'm always looking for sponsors, advertisers and products or services to review for the blog. Contact me if you are interested!

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Garage turned Family Room


View of back wall of garage and extension
 from second floor
This house does not  have a traditinal  family room, a room for the family to gather to hang out, watch TV, and just enjoy each other's company.  Ideally the family room should be close to the kitchen so the family can gather together within these two rooms while meals are prepared and then enjoyed.  These two rooms would be the heart or hub of the home, where most of the "living" takes place.   The only area that is near the kitchen that could be transformed into the "living area" would be the existing garage.  Another reason for choosing the garage as an area to transform is because of the boring wall that borders the pool deck. 

Same back wall of garage from
another angle

I understand why the garage wall exists, but I haven't found a reason why that wall which extends from the garage exists. 

I think it should be demolished.  I volunteer for that job!!!  (That's one of the things I can't wait to do.)  I think it would be a great stress reliever to knock that wall down! 


Third view of the same wall

I picture a large, spacious family room in place of the garage.  I would add a window where the garage door is now.  A bathroom on the wall opposite the kitchen would be convenient in conjunction with  another window or door to the back of the yard.  I would prefer to have a wall of disappearing glass doors on the third wall overlooking the pool.  (The wall in the picture towards your left would be all glass, and the other part would be gone.)

 

The wall on your left is the "stress-relieving" wall that will be removed.  The wall directly in front, behind the trees will have the bathroom and either a window or door leading to this area.  Naturally some of these trees would have to be moved if we opt for a door.

Thoughts?  Ideas?  Please post a comment, I'd love to get some input.

No comments:

Post a Comment