I'm always looking for sponsors, advertisers and products or services to review for the blog. Contact me if you are interested!

Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Master Bathroom

This is one of my favorite projects ever...

I had a vision, but not enough space.  The original master bathroom was so small the previous owners removed the door to have more space inside.  You could literally stand just inside the doorway and take one step over to the toilet, shower or sink. There was no room to move. 

   
I really didn't want to have a tiny bathroom.  I wanted the bathroom to make a statement.  I wanted the bathtub to have a view.

I once stayed at the Westin Diplomat hotel in Hollywood, Florida and I loved their Grand Deluxe King bathroom. It had sliding doors next to the tub that would slide open and provide a view of the Atlantic Ocean (through the room). I thought it was a great idea.  It was really nice to just sit and soak and look out and enjoy.  I wanted something similar.

The first step was to figure out how to make the bathroom bigger.  We didn't have many options.  If we made the bathroom more square, then we'd take space from the bedroom.  I really didn't want to take any space from the bedroom.  I wanted enough space in the bedroom to be able to fit a king size bed and a sleeper sofa.

After much deliberation and weeks of going back and forth looking for possible solutions, we decided  the only option was to remove the tiny master closet and use that space also.


We also used the closet in the 2nd bedroom that backed up to the master closet.  This allowed us to make a decent size rectangular bathroom.  However, there was no way to add the small sliding doors to create a window next to the tub.  I decided to just make a sliding wall with a series of doors that could close completely or open wide.  The whole process gets complicated and I won't bore you with the details but it did work out.  My spa tub can have a view or not, which is very nice.

I wanted the master bedroom and bathroom to have a West Indies feel.  My husband and I traveled through the South Pacific for our honeymoon and I've always loved the look and feel of those places.




I purchased a Mahogany wood TV cabinet (originally had legs) at Nadeau with matching long vertical mirrors. I had the legs removed in order to mount the cabinet. I wanted a wall-mounted piece for this bathroom. The piece would not have worked with the legs anyway because it was too short for a vanity. The imitation wood porcelain tile in a dark finish provides a rich wood, dark finish. I went through three different paint colors before finding the perfect one. The toilet is hidden behind the wall on the right so it gets the maximum amount of privacy possible.





In this photo, you can see the width of the opening we created.  It has three doors on three tracks.  They can slide behind each other to have an opening that's two doors wide or staggered so the three close off the entire opening. 
It is really nice to have.  The only set back is that the back patio runs across the back of the house so if anyone is there, you don't have privacy to soak in the tub enjoying the view.  Having the open bathroom makes both areas more spacious and comfortable. 

I haven't taken beautiful pictures yet because I still haven't completely finished the decor in this bathroom but I will post some more very soon.


I really love how this bathroom turned out!












No comments:

Post a Comment